LSC Meeting Minutes
O.A. Thorp Scholastic Academy via Zoom video conference
September 9, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Meeting called to order: 5:36 pm
Present: Amy Ellison, Angelica Jacinto, Bill Harmon, Jen Alper, Robert Lee, Joel Paulraj, Naomi Millán, Efren Toledo, David Feller, Ami Thaker, Debbie Dean
Absent: Mahmoud Bambouyanni
Motion to move public participation to just past the principal’s report. Alper motioned, Lee seconded. Unanimous approval.
Approval of minutes:
June 10 — Paulraj motioned, Harmon seconded. Unanimous approval.
June 19 — Lee motioned, Harmon seconded. Unanimous approval.
July 1 — Lee motioned, Paulraj seconded. Unanimous approval.
- Learning at home family communications plan is online. Expectation of highly engaged classrooms and lots of individual engagement. The strategy is to have co-located classrooms, having specials on Wednesdays provides classroom support and substitutes. It also keeps the schedule the same (for when students return to the classroom.)
- 1st day: Over 96% attendance (797)
- Grading: At least one grade per week.
- Emotional supports: counselor is meeting with students on Wednesdays
- Over the summer, served 600+ meals per day, and the daily check-ins with the counselor were well-attended.
- There was a COVID-related closure during the week of 8/24, which caused a delay in student material distribution.
- Google Classroom set up for parents. Toledo wants PTA to administer it.
- Parent Q&A regarding: Specials (will always be remote in the hybrid model to maintain social distancing, class sizes are big); not enough instruction minutes; child behavior during virtual class; sensory overload for cluster students; student need for connection.
School Committee Reports
- PTA: Will share feedback on first few days with administration. The focus this year is on community. Proposed enhanced room parent role to streamline teacher/parent communications, host monthly calls. Working with the counselor on health and wellness initiatives, with guest speakers on social emotional.
- Friends of Thorp: Fundraiser at SuperDawg October 5-11. Will donate 20% back to Thorp. Working on Thorp art boards to spell out, “Welcome to O.A.Thorp.”
- 7th/8th grade committee: Unclear what will be possible.
- PPLC: Committee not yet elected. Discussed grading practices, the effect 0s have on a student’s grade.
- CIWP: New AP, Ms. McFarlane, discussed how teachers will be using common curriculum for alignment. Four sessions of professional development for teachers, covering a range of subjects.
- PEC: No meeting yet.
- Bilingual Advisory Committee: Meeting Sept. 18. All parents are welcome to join, not just ELL.
- Diverse Learners: No meeting yet.
- Wellness: Will need to be reconstituted.
- Communications: No meeting yet.
- Anti-racism: Will need to be constituted. More information on how to join will be in the Friday letter.
- Student Council: Ms. Goldstein will lead. Council with reps from 3rd-8th grade.
- Nov. 18 is the LSC election during report card pickup. Nominations have been reopened through October 2.
- Consider moving LSC to Zoom. Will help support the spirit of open meetings act.
Dean motioned to move into closed session for principal evaluation discussion. Alper seconded. Toledo abstained, otherwise unanimous approval.
Moved into closed session at 7:32 pm.
Moved out of closed session at 8:10 pm. (Dean motioned, Lee seconded. Unanimous approval.)
Motion to adjourn open session. Dean motioned, Alper seconded. Unanimous approval.
Meeting adjourned at 8:14 pm.