LSC Meeting Minutes
O.A. Thorp Scholastic Academy
6024 W. Warwick Ave., Chicago, IL 60634
November 13, 2019, 6:15 pm
Present: Ami Thaker, Efren Toledo, Joel Paulraj, Bill Harmon, Naomi Millan, Angelica Jacinto, Robert Lee, Jennifer Alper, Debra Dean,
Absent: Mahmoud Bambouyanni, David Feller, Amy Ellison
LSC members will be noted by last name only for the remainder of the minutes.
Call to order: 6:25 pm
Approval of agenda and minutes. Dean motioned, Alper seconded. Unanimous approval.
Thorp teacher’s message to parents.
- Alper read. Message regarded the recently ended strike.
School Committee/Organization Reports:
- No update
Friends of Thorp
- Winter fundraiser reverting to WinterFest. Paulraj motioned to approve. Dean seconded. Unanimous approval.
7th and 8th grade committee
- Fundraising with Culver’s coupons sale. Joe Basilione is potentially working up a community discount card fundraiser. Need male chaperones for the D.C. Trip.
LSC Committee Reports:
- Focused on SQRP, and the drop from Level 1+ to Level 1.
- Jason Roberts will be leading the CIWP effort this year. The first meeting dealt with reframing the process, from a linear to cyclic. Specifically will be identifying problems in practice and directly linking the CIWP to student learning with continuous measurement.
- Needs to meet. Will meet Dec. 3 at 7 am. LSC has between December and May to make an offer.
Bi-Lingual Advisory Committee
- Next meeting will be in December.
LSC Committee on Diverse Learners
- Next meeting will be 12/6, focusing on IEPs and also ODLSS rep will be present to talk about parent rights.
- No update
- Toledo would like school management software suggestions. Would have to work with Aspen.
- SQRP. School Quality Ratings Policy. Score dropped from 1+ to 1. Discussed various reasons for why this was. Access test was counted this year and was 23.1%.
- We are only moderately organized for the 5 essentials, which is an “easy target to improve.”
- We have more bilingual students and 25% met targets, compared to last year 72% meeting target.
- “We have been the number 1 for growth and attainment in District 1, and will work to get back to that.” However, we are not going to be “test prep elementary.”
- Kindergarten is revamping unit on Native Americans pursuant parent feedback on social media.
- Staff shifts in 5th grade, 8th, and 7th to cover maternity leave.
- Millan brought up a parent’s concern over the 5th grade NWEA scores. Historic dip in 5th grade, but this year greater than years past. Faculty looking into the issue.
- Millan brought up overdue facility assessment. No known ETA on when that will be completed by CPS.
No old business.
Meeting adjourned 7:45 pm. Dean motioned, Paulraj seconded.
Next LSC Meeting is December 11, at 7 am.