LSC Meeting Minutes
O.A. Thorp Scholastic Academy
6024 W. Warwick Ave., Chicago, IL 60634
May 8, 2019, 7 am
An archived video of this meeting is available at
Present: Jennifer Alper, Debra Dean, Efren Toledo, Joel Paulraj, Bill Harmon, Ami Thaker, Angelica Jacinto, Amy Ellison, Mahmoud Bambouyanni and Robert Lee.
Absent: David Feller, Naomi Millan
LSC members will be noted by last name only for the remainder of the minutes.
Approval of agenda and March minutes: Ellison motioned, Dean seconded. Unanimous approval.
LSC Committee Reports
— PPLC (Professional Personnel Leadership):
– – PPLC: ELL – Discussed on how to improve curriculum, language and arts. Summer PDs, PBL projects, categories for grade bands and Spanish curriculum.
— CIWP: No updates
— Principal Evaluation Committee: Extending deadline for principal evaluation survey.
- Closed session planned – Paulraj motioned, Harmon seconded
— Bi-lingual Advisory Committee: Priority to go to city meetings. Discussed spanish class in school and Bi-literacy test
— Committee on Diverse Learners: Autism awareness event went well. DL workshop planned for May 18
— Wellness Committee: Amy and Jenn Jones finalized the homework survey. Homework townhall planned for 5/29
— Communications committee: Plan to add changes based on principal survey feedback
School Committee/Organization Reports
Friends of Thorp — May 10 – Exterior prep for gardens, stain picnic tables and black fence touchup.
PTA — Digital families event went well. Lot of student involvement.
– National PTA to highlight Illinois PTA connection
– Day of awesomeness for beginning of school
– Discussed Penny wars, Step it up fundraisers – LSC to vote on them later
No parent fundraisers for rest of the year
7th and 8th Grade Committee —June 6 -Milwaukee trip planned
Mr. Vikhter working on student highlights
7th and 8th grade committees to be combined next year
Other items – Amy Ellison provided an update from the citywide LSC chair meeting
-The 5 year plan for CPS was presented by the CEO and her office.
– Highlights Community partnership and more transparency
– Kids are succeeding and thriving at CPS
– These are welcome changes
– State of the school address & talk about CPS at large
– Students developed correction practices
– Discussed PBL capstone projects and sensory walks
– Discussed Sole Hope project on Uganda
– Lifeskill loft setup to learn life skills
– Received a Thorp TV update
– Budget and internal accounts to be reconciled next time
Motion to adjourn: Lee motioned, Dean seconded. Unanimous approval.