O.A. Thorp Scholastic Academy
6024 W. Warwick Ave., Chicago, IL 60634
March 11, 2020 7:00 am
Call to order: 7:07 am
Present: Ami Thaker, Bill Harmon, Naomi Millan, Amy Ellison, Angelica Jacinto, Jennifer Alper, Debra Dean, Mahmoud Bambouyanni (7:38 am)
Absent: Robert Lee, Efren Toledo, Joel Paulraj, David Feller
Approval of agenda. Harmon motioned. Alper seconded. Unanimous approval.
Approval of February minutes. Alper motioned. Jacinto seconded. Unanimous approval.
- Parent (Gabriel) discussed areas he feels where there is room for improvement: School food quality, communication, and ecological footprint. Asked if there is a workorder process for tracking complaints.
Student Council Report
- Organized concessions and decorations for the Valentine’s Day dance. 100 attended. Possibly planning a movie night.
Principal’s Report (via video facilitated by Mr. Roberts)
- MTSS: Uptick in Ds/Fs against last year. 163 currently. Being addressed with Saturday School. Teachers are getting gradebook reports.
- Aligned Resources: Bilingual/ELL audit revist. Focusing on a more culturally inclusive environment through wall art. Need to move people around by ESL endorsement to satisfy the requirements.
- CIWP: Asked for a pre-survey; 13 teachers participated.
- Communications: Course management system. Coordinator position hired as communication enhancement.
- Budget: Would like to getting flooring redone in the lounge, blinds installed on the east side of building.
- Ellison brought up questions on COVID-19. Roberts said the school is taking it seriously and is following board recommendations. Custodial team is sanitizing door handles and guard rails. Schools that are shutting down in the area are precautionary. There have been some thoughts given to a shut down plan. Not all students have access to Internet in case of shutdown.
School Committee Reports
- PTA: Looking into a read-a-thon in the run-up to the bookfair.
- Friends of Thorp: Dine out at Poretta’s on the 25th. Starting to field concerns about the upcoming gala in face of coronavirus.
- 7th/8th Grade Committee: The DC trip is moving forward.
LSC Committee Reports
- PPLC: Discussed a reading committee. Might include social studies.
- CIWP: Wants to have a few town halls in April.
- Principal Evaluation: Need to get two more meetings in the books.
- LSC Committee on Diverse Learners: Working on a family resource library. Neurodiversity Week will be in May. Will create a student handbook for the diverse learners. Will be selling T-shirts.
- Wellness Committee: Two events are coming, one from the National Association of Mental Health and one through Lurie Children’s on Gender 101. Ms. Goldstein is organizing a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance.)
- Communications Committee: Had meeting to consider Moodler, Team, and general needs from learning management/communications system.
Discussed the upcoming LSC elections.
New Business: None
Old Business: None
Motion to adjourn meeting. Dean motioned, Harmon seconded. Unanimous approval.
Meeting adjourned shortly past 8 am.