LSC MEETING – 20180213

OA Thorp Scholastic Academy
Tuesday, February 13th 2018 @ 5:30pm

Attendees: Tim A., Amy E., Tammy W., George M., Mr. Robles, Jerry C., Ms. Alper, Efren T., Debbie D.

  • Called to order at 5:40pm
  • Roll Call
  • Approval of Agenda
    • Motion to approve amended agenda Motioned: Tim A. , Seconded: George M.
    • Vote: passed w/unanimous consent
  • Review/Approval of Minutes
    • Motion to approve the minutes Motioned: Amy E. , Seconded: Ms. Alper
    • Vote: passed w/unanimous consent
  • Friends of Thorp (FOT) Update
    • Poretta’s dine-out, 2/28 4-8pm
    • Would like to do a dine out at Charlie Nobles end of school year
    • Looking to do a yoga event in the gym with FOT being the recipient of the funds
    • Wolves have offered to do reduced price tickets as a possibility for access
    • FOT has been asked to collect money at Thorpapalooza for the alumni event
  • LSC Committees Updates & Reports:
    • Bi-lingual advisory committee
      • Meeting Friday
      • Roughly nine Moms who are regularly attending both local and regional meetings.
    • Continuous Improvement Work Plan (CIWP)
      • CIWP team is currently working on prioritizing the items in the School Excellence Framework to focus on. From the survey the following appeared as the priorities:
        1. Restorative Approaches to Discipline
        2. Aligned Resources (time, budget, staff, specifically around WIN time)
        3. Multi-tiered systems of support (MTSS)
        4. Leadership and Collective Responsibility/Instructional Leadership Team
        • Will be looking to actively prioritize these items as next step, including discussion of the results. Notably the list marked Rigorous Student Tasks as a high strength and so didn’t make the list but may want to re-add that as a continuous need.
        • Next meeting will be on 2/20
    • Professional Personnel Leadership Committee (PPLC)
      • Last PPLC meeting was used as a CIWP meeting
    • Principal Evaluation Committee
      • Last meeting was focused in on the survey
      • Targeting 3/23 for delivery of the survey
    • Wellness Committee
      • Met on the 5th, and were looking at the priorities:
        • Education on consent and sexual harassment, wellness, and health
        • Comprehensive homework policy
      • Toledo brought up a pilot at Thorp around social media literacy, Mental Magic * Starting with a survey of concerns for 5th-8th graders which will be non-anonymous
        • Next step will be identifying kids at risk and use of the Behavior Assessment System for Children (BASC) test given by the school psychologist.
      • 3/20 town hall on social media and responding to social media
        • Discussing survey results as well as family habits around social media
      • Will be doing a second town hall on consent and sexual harassment
        • committee is looking at the current CPS curriculum
    • PTA
      • Movie night coming up
    • 8th Grade Committee
      • Sky high made a little of $500
      • Current account $4157.71
      • Bulb sale and Culver’s upcoming may be trying to do Portillo’s
  • Principal’s Report
    • CIWP Update
      • On Rigorous Student Tasks Ms. McNally highlighted the Thorp Barbie Bungie activity that was initially done with the algebra group and will be expanding to the other classes.
      • Safety and Updates
        • Construction of the ramp on the east side of the building targeted for spring break
        • Balcony will be getting glass partitions and a railing, 2 estimates. Cost to be paid for by FoT.
      • Streamlining of MTSS submission
      • Parent and Community Partnerships
        • Will be having a luncheon with retired teachers and 7th and 8th graders will be doing interviews as part of their anniversary projects.
        • As part of the history of Thorp project they’ve been looking at the diversity in the neighborhood overtime and thinking about what Thorp can do to be a welcoming school to increase our diversity.
      • Is requesting the approval of the LSC for a $13k spend to purchase a replacement copier as well as a $10k spend to begin a program with Filament to work with students on scriptwriting as an extension of the writing curriculum.
      • Facilities report
        • Completion of the wifi upgrade
        • Class set of music keyboards paid via fine arts grant.
  • Old Business
  • New Business
    • Sex Ed curriculum and continuation plan from last year
      • Will be reviewing the full curriculum with the wellness committee
    • Flu Season
      • Remitting through continuous cleaning of the school and believe we’re having effective results with our lowest attendance day of 94% and no consistent drop in attendance. Debbie highlighted the awareness of teachers and the impact of the nurse on recognizing kids showing symptoms and sending them home.
    • Upcoming LSC elections
      • Applications are in the office and due 3/2 @ 3pm
      • Application requires two forms of identification
      • Candidate forum tentatively scheduled for 3/19
  • Item(s) up for Vote
    • Approval of principal survey
      • Moved to the next meeting after discussion
    • FOT Dine out fundraiser at Porettas on February 28th
      • Motion to approve fundraiser Motioned: Amy E. , Seconded: Debbie D.
      • Vote: passed w/unanimous consent
  • Public Participation/Announcements
  • Adjourn @ 7:10pm