LSC Meeting Minutes
O.A. Thorp Scholastic Academy
6024 W. Warwick Ave., Chicago, IL 60634
February 12, 2020 5:30 pm
Call to order: 5:36 pm
Present: Ami Thaker, Efren Toledo, Joel Paulraj, Bill Harmon, Naomi Millan, Amy Ellison, David Feller, Angelica Jacinto, Jennifer Alper, Debra Dean, Mahmoud Bambouyanni (5:54 pm)
Absent: Robert Lee
Vote to amend the agenda to list correct meeting times. Dean motioned, Paulraj seconded. Unanimous approval.
Vote to approve the agenda. Harmon motioned, Alper seconded. Unanimous approval.
Vote to approve the minutes from December meeting. Alper motioned, Harmon seconded. Unanimous approval.
- Fewer and fewer students in Saturday School. It is an expensive program, offered starting in 3rd grade. Had been just extension, but now any student with Ds or Fs will be required to attend.
- CIWP: Multi-tiered systems of support — looking at a new report that makes explicit how assignments are being weighted. Teachers are going to be getting a weekly report. A focus on the work that matters most.
- CIWP: Aligned resources — Bilingual/ELL Audit resulted in a need for more ESL/Bilingual instruction in K-5, but especially in language arts and math. The goal is dual language. Need to provide more bilingual and ESL endorsements. Need to provide more native language instruction. Currently about 10% of student population is bilingual. Usually test out of ESL by 3rd grade.
- CIWP: Leadership. Mr. Roberts provided an update via video. CIWP needs to make sure categories are defined and understood. Focus on a living process, not static document.
- Budget: Income fromThorp Aftercare is $110,250 through December. Line 124 (internal accounts) was at $651,000. Toledo’s goal is 1 million to create pool of funds for programming and other expenses. For example, Funstiute costs $20,000. Income from cell tower is down to $30,000. Looking to pay for professional development over the summer.
- Vote to move funds for 2 Sharp copiers, new and including a year of service for a total of $10,883. Bambouyanni motioned, Harmon seconded. Unanimous approval.
Parent Committee Reports
Friends of Thorp: Dine out fundraiser in March at Porettas or Easy Street. Bambouyanni motioned, Alper seconded. Unanimous approval.
Fund in need: They’ve set up a Google doc so teachers can specify their needs, such as for equipment.
PTA: Zumba, February 29.
7th/8th Grade: Dance this Friday at 3-5 pm. DC trip is on track.
LSC Committee Reports
PPLC: Discussed making sure to include the Holocaust in 5th/6th grade education or 7/8th grade. Discussed a reading textbook for lower EL. Curriculum in reading and social studies. New text books requested. Discussed dress code situation. A committee with Toledo involved regarding communications is being formed.
PEC: Principal contract was approved. Need to set more meeting dates to finalize principal evaluation.
Diverse Learners: T-shirts will be sold March 30. This year focusing on neurodiversity. Parent meeting on 20th will focus on communication, executive functioning, curriculum. Will ask ODLSS/ADA to observe the 101 classroom. Planning a fundraiser in May to raise funds for the cluster families. Seeking to raise funds for bringing in training.
Wellness: Meeting March 2.
Communication: Meeting Feb. 26.
Motion to adjourn. Dean motioned, Harmon seconded. Meeting adjourned at 7:19 pm.