skip to Main Content

December 11, 2019 LSC Meeting Minutes

LSC Meeting Minutes

O.A. Thorp Scholastic Academy

6024 W. Warwick Ave., Chicago, IL 60634

December 11, 2019, 7:00 am

Call to order 7:07 am

Roll call:

Present: Ami Thaker, Efren Toledo, Joel Paulraj, Bill Harmon, Naomi Millan, Amy Ellison, David Feller, Angelica Jacinto, Robert Lee (until 8:37 am), Mahmoud Bambouyanni, Jennifer Alper, Debra Dean

LSC members will be noted by last name only for the remainder of the minutes. 

Motion to approve agenda. Bambouyanni motion, Harmon second. Unanimous approval.

Motion to approve the November minutes. Harmon motioned. Dean second. Unanimous approval.

Ms. Galligan provided an update on the CTU contract. 

School Committee Reports

  • Student Council: meeting once a week. Put suggestion box in the cafeteria. Selling concessions at Winter Wingle for 7th/8th grade trip fundraiser. Food drive prize is extra recess. 
  • Bi-Lingual Committee: Discussed upcoming Access test in last meeting. Special arts project in 5th grade will have a multicultural angle. Next meeting is Valentine’s Day.
  • PTA: Fundraising is down by a lot (off by $2000). PTA pays for assemblies, dances, subscriptions, teacher appreciation events, etc. PTA is taking donations for the Winter Wiggle. (Motion to approve accepting donations. Dean motioned, Lee second. Unanimous approval.) Next meeting Jan 14. 
  • Friends of Thorp: Winterfest had 30 participating student vendors. It went well. Pub Quiz fundraiser is Jan 26 at MCM Pub. (Motion to approve pub quiz. Harmon motioned. Bambouyani seconded. Unanimous approval.) Discussed Queen of Hearts raffle potential. (Motion to approve applying for the permits for the raffle. Alper motioned. Paulraj second. Unanimous approval.)
  • 7th/8th grade committee. Fundraising slowdown. About $11,000 currently in bank. DC trip is on schedule. 

LSC Committee Reports

  • PPLC: Discussed school quality rating in last meeting. Talked about MAP, inspecting scores. Discussed 5 Essentials Survey and improving feedback from students. 

(This prompted discussion among LSC members. Ellison mentioned CPS is seeking feedback on SQRP to see if it’s effective. Toledo likes SQRP because it measures a lot of factors. Possible changes would link high school performance to elementary school performance. Lee asked what tools are in place for test taking. Toledo said it’s hard to continuously make gains on the attainment score in NWEA because you start moving far beyond grade level.)

  • CIWP: Deferred to Principal’s Report. It would be good for parents and LSC to attend CIWP meetings.
  • PEC: Sent out review from the last two years. Need to get the new survey out ASAP. Any changes to the survey must be reviewed by legal by Friday.Will be meeting in January to discuss renewal. 
  •  Bi-lingual: Work on diversity and inclusion committee. How can Thorp be more inclusive? For example, using the headsets.
  • Diverse Learners: Had a workshop last week. ODLSS came out. T-shirt for Autism Awareness month discussed. Surveying parents to see what days work best for meetings.
  • Wellness Committee: Hoping to get started in January. 
  • Communications Committee: Discussed some communications platforms. Schoology interfaces with ASPEN and supports SMS. Francis Parker and Latin use it. PPLC has to be part of the conversation.

New Business

  • What is the criteria for parental notification of a threat or special disciplinary action? If it’s a safety concern for the whole school, it will be a public announcement. Individual concerns are not handled via public announcement. 

Principal Report

  • Instructional coaching
  • Oakridge STEM grants
  • Want to make sure the vision is aligned. 

Motion to adjourn at 8:41 am. Dean motioned, Harmon seconded.

Back To Top