LSC Meeting Minutes
O.A. Thorp Scholastic Academy via Zoom video conference
April 15, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Call to order: 5:32 pm
Present: Ami Thaker, Naomi Millan, Amy Ellison, Jennifer Alper, Debra Dean, Efren Toledo, Robert Lee, Joel Paulraj
Absent: David Feller, Bill Harmon, Angelica Jacinto, Mahmoud Bambouyanni
Approval of the agenda. Lee motioned, Paulraj seconded. Unanimous approval.
Approval of the March meeting minutes. Dean motioned, Paulraj seconded. Unanimous approval.
Approval of the March special meeting (3/26) minutes. Alper motioned, Thaker seconded. Unanimous approval.
-Thorp’s learning at home family communication plan was sent out.
– All teachers are to meet with students at minimum 15 minutes, 2 times per week. Encouraged to meet in small groups. Open office hours are posted for extra parent support.
– Access to technology: Have lent out over 100 chromebooks. Printed packets available for pickup, but discouraged.
– Access to learning resources: Teachers posting daily assignments in Google classroom. Grading practices should mirror typical grading practices.
– Access to social-emotional support: Meeting with 14 or so students per day.
– Status report: 66% of students are doing daily check-in. About 85% checking in consistently. If there is no contact, they get outreach from admin.
– About 400 meals distributed daily.
– 7th/8th grade: DC trip cancelled. Parents will be refunded.
– Graduation: Refunds will be issued for overnight trip. Decisions for May/June activities not made yet but should be soon. High school selection announcements are being compiled.
– Report cards will be distributed next week. Report card conferences will be required for students in danger of failing. General town hall conferences will be scheduled by grade level.
– Focus area: special ed services and related service providers — still waiting for CPS guidance.
– Focus area: special arts. Teachers are putting up activities but not checking in as much.
– Focus area: Timely feedback for formative and summative assignments.
School Committee/Organization Reports
-PTA: Bookfair is cancelled. Moving to online format in June.
-Friends of Thorp: School reaching out to businesses that have supported us in the past to provide free advertising/promotion.
LSC Committee Reports
-Student council: There’s a possibility for a virtual student council meeting.
-PPLC: Postponed for now.
-CIWP: Work continues. Priority shifted a little to practices incorporating right now and how they apply to the learning for next year.
– Bilingual Advisory: No April meeting.
– LSC Committee on Diverse Learners: Not sure if they were able to meet, but CPS will be rolling out guidelines. Can continue IEP meetings. Biggest concern is how to provide services.
– Wellness Committee: No April meeting. In conversation with Ms.Goldstein about setting up a meeting.
– Communications Committee: No meeting. Google Classroom is getting better, more robust. Principal reached out to CPS for a server for Moodle.
Q+A (sharing questions submitted to LSC or brought to LSC’s attention)
- Will there be a gifted program? Yes, but not sure about testing.
- E-learning face-to-face time: For most that’s 5-6 teachers, at 30 minutes a week. Still rolling out.
- How to access Chromebooks? Go to the front page of the website for pickup form.
- Grading to avoid negative impact? The floor is what they had on March 16. Can not harm kids with grades. No guidance from CPS at this time on incompletes. Will continue issuing grades on Aspen.
- What if no printer at home? Pick up packet at school.
- 6th grade reading plan? Reading Misfits and 5th grade reading The Breadwinner.
Ellison shared guidance on how to continue LSC meetings. Agenda must be posted on school’s website and also at physical site, and emailed 48 hours ahead of time. LSC elections have been put on hold.
Motion to adjourn. Dean motioned, Alper seconded. Adjourned at 6:45 pm.