LSC MEETING – 20170501

OA Thorp Scholastic Academy
Monday, May 1st 2017 @ 5:30pm

Attendees: Tim A., Ms. Alper, Tammy W., Amy E., Tim D., Efren T., Debbie D., George M.

Arrived 6:15pm: Jason Q.

  • Call to Order
  • Roll Call
  • Review/Approval of Minutes
    • Motion to approve the Minutes Motioned: Debbie D. , Seconded: Tammy D.
    • Vote: passed w/unanimous consent
  • Approval of Agenda
    • Motion to approve agenda Motioned: Tammy , Seconded: George
    • Vote: passed w/unanimous consent
  • LSC Committees Updates & Reports:
    • Professional Personnel Leadership Committee (PPLC)
      • Met last week.
        • Discussed goals for the writing team. Teachers showed interest and this week Toledo and the leaders will be narrowing it down.
        • Will begin meetings next week or the week after to discuss next year.
        • Discussed math PD needs
          • primary grades looking for more math in focus PD than the upper grades due to the divergence for younger grades.
          • upper grades maybe algebra math in focus potentially, but more likely PBL logic and writing in math.
    • Communications Committee
      • No meeting this month.
    • Principal Evaluation Committee
      • Survey closed and data pulled. In the process of collating results.
      • Scheduling a special meeting in May to review to prepare presenting to Toledo and adding to the tool.
      • Morning is looking popular but it may result in more meetings given the time constraints on a morning meeting.
    • PTA
      • Thanks for lunch during report card pickup.
      • Working on teacher appreciation next week.
    • 8th Grade Committee
      • Now that school is confirmed open it’s reduced some of the stress of year end.
      • First overnight trip coming up on the 4th and the 5th.
      • Intention for next year’s 8th graders will be to do the overnight earlier in the years.
      • Will be meeting tonight.
  • Principal’s Report including CIWP updates
    • Funding
      • 115 funding in teacher salary (retirement differential) is locked, assumption is this is the way it will work moving forward. ($130k).
      • 115 SES Outreach line of $53k also not available.
      • 115 34k Regular Position Pointer intended to be used for summer PD but will need to do it now given the way that CPS has currently tightened controls.
      • 115 Bucket Position Pointer -20k is tutors and expected to grow, will be pulled from the other lines.
      • 115 Benefits Pointer -927 also expected to grow and will be pulled from other lines.
      • Will be attempting to use 124 funds (internal accounts) to pay for summer PD.
      • Detail will be shared on google sheet.
    • Project Based Learning
      • Autism Awareness Day project
        • teams worked on determining how the students could draw the heart.
      • Sole Hope
        • Good beginning step in using multiple disciplines in the project.
        • Highlighted the kids talking to parents about these.
      • 5/28? will be the wax museum for 5th/6th grades
      • Solving Chicago upcoming
      • Will be working with IMSA, will be looking to have them address the ILT on PBL.
      • Will have an in-house PD with them beginning next year.
    • Bilingual Advisory Committee
      • Looking to open it to all parents who speak more than one language at home.
      • Officers need to be in the bilingual program.
      • 15 signed up.
      • Ms. Arredondo is leading.
      • Looking to have some event before year.
  • Old Business
    • Safe Schools Initiative
      • George has drafted a rewording of the letter which was in the P4T materials.
        • Does believe it’s worthwhile to have something come out specifically on the immigration issue.
        • Will be sharing with the council.
      • Spoke about conversation we had with parent and the materials she shared.
    • Homework Policy
      • Each group has a team policy on how much homework is given
        • Toledo will bring these back to the LSC for review
      • Time guidelines from CPS are in our handbook
      • Discussed what may be recurring issues in 3rd grade around the change in expectations around homework based on how things change between then.
        • Toledo wanted to discuss that with teachers, probably through the PPLC.
        • Talking about messaging earlier in the year
        • Amy related a desire for monthly nights to discuss and address topics and the story about the value she got from speaking to teachers during report card pickup and how it’s started to change her mind around departmentalization.
        • Tammy mentioned adding some parents to the conversations among teachers on communicating the transitions. Specifically so that they have a partner in the parent community for conversations among parents. Toledo will ask team leads from 2nd going into 3rd, 4th to 5th, 6th to 7th.
  • New Business
    • 100 Year Anniversary
      • Jason raised whether we use this as a broader fundraising opportunity. FoT and PTA were concerned about who might control the money.
        • Toledo mentioned Bell has an endowment and Jason mentioned Lane does as well.
        • Jason will take away a question on how this has looked at other organizations.
    • LSC Advisory Committee Election
      • Will submit to the council the scanned statements from the candidates. Votes are due Friday.
    • George brought up the Explore Theater Program which collects stories from students and then act them out for the kids. We may still be able to do that this year.
    • Amy brought up that Filament has been granted on a project “crossing 6 corners” which involves stories from the neighborhood. Could include workshops or even a 6 week residency with interview skills and others.
  • Public Participation/Announcements
    • Naomi asked with the funding running out for the music program, how did that work? Can you get grant funding for specific programs?
  • Adjourn Tammy/Debbie, unanimous